Monday, July 25, 2011

Keep going Forward

So last week I went to a Indiana Fever game with Erica, the new newsroom manager at The Recorder, and Rachel, the other intern. While I was there I ran into a past teacher of mine from elementary school, Miss. Cain.

It’s hard to believe that she even spotted me, a girl who is barley five feet tall among the sea of people that were inside Lucus Oil Stadium. (Mabye it was because I was awkwardly sitting at a table reserved for the media, surround by mostly 40-year-old white men in suites, with big curly hair and a purple dress.) I think its good for teachers to see past students, and for students to see past teachers, because it causes you to remember things you might have forgotten.

She said it was good to see that I was still writing, obviously remembering how I use to write little fiction stories and that my favorite time of the year was when we wrote “young author books” and put them on display for our parents to read during the school choir show. (I wonder what happened to all of those books?). I remember writing a story about four girls with a magical map who saw the Loch Ness Monster, and a story about Author from the TV show.

The next day she had sent me a facebook message, telling me she had read some of the articles I had written for The Recorder online, and that she really liked the one about family togetherness and summer reading, and that she was glad I doing well. (I’m glad I’m doing well two. I’m sure she wasn’t sure with 11-year-old me. How 11-year-old me evolved into 21-year-old me is beyond me. But I know that, even at 21, I’m not even halfway there yet)

I think it kind of messes with your sense of time to see someone from awhile ago, but in a good way because it pushes you forward. I told my friend Kate, who I knew since elementary school, that I saw Miss. Cane because she knew her too. I don’t really know where I’m going with this post, but its getting lengthy so I’ll stop now.

We all float on

No comments:

Post a Comment