Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Music Finds

I love music, and have a very random and eccentric musical taste. I don’t know how I find some of the music that I own. This is what I’ve been listening to lately.

1. Tokyo Police Club



If you take the quirkeyness of an Owl City song, mix it with the electronic beat of The Postal Service, and add a pinch of and the lyrical cleverness of Panic! At the Disco, you’ll have something that sounds a bit like Tokyo Police Club.

To be honest, it’s hard to pin their sound down because it’s extremely unique, but you will not be disappointed. Despite the playfulness of the music, the lyrics are actually quite cleaver and meaningful.

My current favorites include ‘Bambi,’ an upbeat song that seems to express the emotions of someone dealing with addiction and feeling guilty about how it affects someone they care about. Another song I enjoy is Favorite Color, which isn’t full of as much meaning (at least not any that I can conjure out of it) but is still a stand out song because of its unique sound.


2. Cults



My fellow intern at The Indianapolis Recorder, Rachel, introduced me to this band. The only word I can use to describe the sound is witty and adorable. The songs speak about relationship issues a lot, but they do so in a way that’s not whiny. I feel like the sound of this band takes dominance over the lyrics. The songs are just feel-good and nice to listen too.

My favorites include “Go Outside,” in which she contrasts her restlessness to someone else desire to say safe and comfortable. Other songs to look into include the unrequited love song “Abducted” and “Bumper,” which chronicles a complicated relationship.


3. Paolo Nutini



Paolo Nutini is a Scottish singer whose music is mostly released in the UK, but thanks to the good old Internet everyone can listen in. He sings everything from pop rock to R&B and soul. Artist I could compare him too would be Jason Mraz or Matt Nathanson.

Some songs I would recommend would be the upbeat “New Shoes” or the soulful “Lovin’ you.” He also has an amzing cover of Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River.”


4. Dewy Sinatra



Having a hard time finding positive r&b and hip-hop? Dewy Sinatra is a British rap artist who mixed laid-back old school instrumentals and lyrics full of puns and world pay. He considers himself a “Christ-centric” artist who’s christen faith often comes through in his lyrics.

You could compare his sound to a much cleaner version of Kid Cudi, and his lyrical style similar to that of Lupe Fiasco. Try listening to “In my Zone” or “Popular.”



5. Tanisha Renee Brown



I think I’ll give this last spot to an amazing unsigned artist. I first met her on tumblr. I think her music speaks for itself. Her newsiest single Live Loved, which speaks about life, love, and faith, can be found here. On her Youtube channel, you can listen to more of her amazing music. I brought Live Loved, and trust me the song is worth your 99 cents.

I can’t decided which songs to post, so I’ll post two. The song above is a cover of 'everywhere you go' by Lissie and the song below is a cover of Jesus Culture's "Can I Have More Of You?"





No comments:

Post a Comment