Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On Journalism

I sometimes wonder where journalism is going. The other intern Rachel just came back from a press conference and was told by a journalist there to switch to another major. Encouraging, right?

I think journalism is great because it allows stories to be told about the things that matter. It’s gives a voice to the voiceless, and lets everyone know the facts instead of a persuasive message that you would see in a commercial form of media.

However, people are not buying newspapers anymore. The Indianapolis Star just fired over 40 of their employers today. “Print” is giving way to the Internet and new technologies make giving and sharing news free and open to everyone. It’s seems many journalism majors are told to sway to fields such as T-com or PR.

At the same time, I think the world will always need storytellers. I think good storytellers will be recognized for their work. I think people with a passion for something will do it because they have a passion for it. And I think people will find new ways to tell stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment