Thursday, March 24, 2011

Things I shouldn’t say

I probably shouldn’t tell you my age or that I’m a college student, because then you’ll know everything about me (and of course everyone under the age of 25 is incompetent). For example, you’ll know I party every weekend, wear Ugg boots in the summer, and purchase a cup of Starbucks every morning before complaining on Twitter about how people spend way to much money on frivolous things.

I also shouldn’t tell you that I’m African-American, because places discriminate on the basic of such things and I definitely want to be working for one of those places. So I’ll just hide it until I get there because that’s better.

I also probably shouldn’t tell you that I’m a Christian, because obviously all Christians are going to be unable to write stories about people with other belief systems in an unbiased way. I’m obviously going to refuse to quote anyone who isn’t a Christian because I’m afraid that if anyone listens to an opposing viewpoint they will automatically lose faith. In fact, I may refuse to interview anyone with different beliefs than me because hearing another opinion might make me lose the faith I swore was there a minute ago.

On, and trust me, I have no opinions whatsoever. Having no opinions makes it so much easier for me to write about other people’s opinions.


These are some of the types of things Journalist are taught not to revel because it could show bias, and prevent you from getting hired. What do you think? Do you believe having opinions will make someone unable to write a fair and balanced news story? Do you believe it’s a good ideal that people are told to hide these types of things? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment